Should Have :
- Eat fruits as they help you restore energy. Apples, mangoes, pomegranates, and pears are best suggestible. Better opt for foods which are drying in nature like corn, gram flour, chick pea etc.
- Foods such as brown rice, oats, and barley are the best foods one could have in this monsoon.
- Body’s immunity can be increased by adding a dash of garlic to the soups, sir fries and curries you intake.
- Opt for yogurt, curd and almonds in your diet instead of milk. Drink only boiled and purified water to protect yourself from harmful germs and drinking plenty of water keeps your body hydrated.
- Consuming bitter vegetables like bitter gourd, and bitter herbs like neem, turmeric powder and methi seeds help in preventing infections.
- Astringent, mildly bitter and pungent foods must be best served this season.
- Drink lots of herbal teas, especially those with antibacterial properties. These include ginger, pepper, honey, mint and basil leaves.
- Have fresh radish juice to fight cold and cough. To reduce mucous formations add pipli and rock salt to warm water. This reduces the natural monsoon ailments.
- People who suffer with arthritis should drink warm water with tulsi and dalchini (cardamom) on an empty stomach in the morning. Doing this improves bowel syndromes and also decreases pains in joints.
- Avoid too much of fish and meat this season and heavy curries and non- vegetarians should go for light meat preparations like stew and soups.
- Vegetables like cauliflower, potatoes, cluster beans, ladies finger, kidney beans, pigeon pea, and sprouted grains must be avoided.
- Avoid eating raw vegetables as they contain active bacteria and virus that cause bacterial and viral infections.
- Avoid watermelon and muskmelons and also goosing on too many mangoes may cause pimples.
- Avoid eating fried items, pre- cut fruits and juices from road side vendors and stick to high quality and hygiene.
- Avoid heavy salty food as they are responsible for high blood pressure and water retention.
- Eating watery foods like lassi, watermelon, rice, muskmelon creates swelling in the body.
- Always wash vegetables well and keep them clean especially if they are taken raw.
Happy Reading @ JFC Food Consulting LLP